Friday, August 14, 2009

Tyler School of Art, Temple University: From Ceramics Monthly’s “MFA Factor” series

Ceramic Monthly highlights Tyler School of Art's MFA program

Tyler’s philosophy emphasizes the investigation and articulation of concepts leading to a high level of personal inquiry, resulting in work that challenges and extends the traditional boundaries of the media and their accepted definitions. Students have access to state of the art facilities and tools while enjoying an interdisciplinary education. The program provides weekly contact with major faculty, ongoing informal critiques with faculty, formal critiques and evaluations twice a semester, and an interdisciplinary graduate thesis committee. There are also significant teaching opportunities and study abroad programs available in Rome, Japan, India, and Scotland, among others.

The visiting artists seminar enhances the curriculum by bringing nationally renowned artists and critics working in a variety of media and venues to the campus for lectures, workshops, and student tutorials on a weekly basis. In addition to the visiting artists invited to the campus, the surrounding community itself is rich with opportunities in the visual and performing arts. Philadelphia is home to an active, contemporary art scene that includes internationally renowned museums, commercial galleries, art centers, and residency programs. Coupled with the close proximity to New York City, our graduate students find that they have easy access to some of the most important research resources in contemporary art.

Check out the Program Details and Facilities Highlights

Faculty
Nicholas Kripal, professor, chair of crafts department, head of ceramics area, is a ceramic sculptor working in site-related installations and sculpture. Kripal received his BFA from the University of Nebraska, Kearney, an MS in Art Education and an MFA from Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville. Left: W.S. Variation #5, 44 in. (112 cm) in length, slip-cast porcelain, fired to cone 6 in an electric kiln, 2007.
Chad Curtis, assistant professor of ceramics, holds a BFA from Minnesota State University, Mankato, and an MFA from New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University. He specializes in mixed-media sculpture and installation, mold making, slip casting, and digital fabrication. Left: Popup Camper with Tree, 45 in. (114 cm) in height, glazed ceramic fired to cone 04 in an electric kiln, clay slip, acrylic, milled foam, epoxy, wood, and mixed media, 2008.
Graduate Students
Lauren Dombrowiak
The urban Philadelphia setting and amazing new facilities are the reasons I initially chose Tyler. I find that the faculty’s involvement in challenging my mind and the work I create is why I love this program. Being pushed to use my ceramic knowledge in whatever media I need, and to do this in an intelligent way, is the backbone of the program.
Kate Dowell
I knew as an undergraduate that I wanted to continue into a graduate program, so I took only a year off in order to research schools and focus on making my application competitive. I chose to study here because The Tyler School of Art offers an interdisciplinary approach to art making in a city with a rich art culture.
Jonathan Dickstein
I took seven years off before attending graduate school. Now I’m using my time in school to develop a keen understanding of where my work fits in terms of space, venue, and audience. After graduate school, I intend to pursue residency opportunities and part-time university teaching positions.
Elaine Quave
I was out of school for two years before I went back to get my MFA. I chose Tyler because it has great faculty and it is located in a city that has a lot of resources and an interesting art scene.

No comments: