Sunday, February 10, 2008

Studio Visit: Charlotte Rodenberg

We all know Charlotte! She is the super friendly first year painting grad who is always planning fantastic events for the grads. She was the OG bowling league member, she makes really awesome installations of/about trash and the city. She constructs the trash out of found or collected materials, its really incredible.

What are you working on?
What I enjoy most, is having several projects going on at once, all informing the other. Sometimes these works have a common ending point such as in a large scale installation, which has been growing since the Fall of 2007, titled "This is My Playground." Others share a similar concept yet are meant for other destinations such as a film, performance or sculpture.

What are you really excited about right now?
At the moment I am sorting my way through this mess of a studio (which I love) and misplacing some of my favorite objects in the city realm. I have a short stop animation boiling in my mind which is spawned from the idea of these installments.
Another project is along the lines of a social activism concerning the use of plastic bags at my local grocery store whom refuses to not only offer totes as an option, give minor rebates to those who do use totes and insist upon double bagging all groceries. I firmly believe that I can use my work as a catalysis for social change.

In one word how would you describe yourself?
curious.

A sunday in the studio with the husband:
Making an overturned shopping cart, or a shopping car that has been but wont be later, overturned:

Her supplies:

Mail box, pretty legit too!

And meters, much lighter and more fragile than their "real" counterparts:

No comments: